It seems only fair to begin a series of posts related to books and film with a post about the least popular of them, which is, unfortunately, reading. And I don't mean reading in general, as in reading this post right now but rather reading on a bigger scale, reading books. Not magazines, not shopping brochures, not even game manuals."The big paper things with little black insects dancing around"
This was a relatively accurate quote from Tarzan, funny enough. In a way we ought to be more like him, and I don't mean let's all be extremely physically fit and resourceful/intelligent. Just more inquisitive, keen to discover what on earth surrounds us (I.e. The Earth).
AND I KNOW there is such a thing as Wikipedia and other virtual encyclopaedias, but for the sake of this section I'll pretend they don't exist, and anyway you can't read a less than famous book on the internet...well you probably can but...*sigh* Just listen.
People have been less and less interested in reading a novel since the not-so-recent introduction of widely available entertainment...watching a movie seems a lot better than reading a book, but is it?
It isn't and If you're still reading this you probably knew it already. The arguments are out there:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2007/11/is_reading_better_for_you_than_watching_tv/
http://www.urch.com/forums/gre-awa/40030-issue-watching-tv-reading-books.html
http://blogcritics.org/books/article/reflecting-on-reading-vs-watching/
http://www.hieropraxis.com/2010/01/reading-versus-television-which-is-better/
Just check it out...you might be surprised
Next time: "Dune"- A SF Masterpiece, reviewed by a...well, by me.
Here's a picture of a baby...

No comments:
Post a Comment