Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Conan: A Forgotten Book-Hero

Hey, everybody! I guess I should say long time no see, but hey, I know everything you've been doing for the past two weeks...What did you think no one was watching you? Hehe, you were obviously wrong...eeeeeh, good times...

Yeah, so today we're talking about one of my favourite ( favorite?) action-heroes of all time:
Conan the Barbarian!
Apart from being a novel-character, Marvel comic book superhero and Schwarzenegger-brown-over-brainian,
Conan was also the beginning of something new, of something beautiful:
The Brutal-Fantasy Genre

I mean, really, what could be better than violence, honour and boobs in a real geek's brain?
Probably magic, swords and monsters...WELL GUESS WHAT?!?
R.E.Howard has them all!!


Not to mention most modern fantasy authors praise him for his high-profile approach to the era and action.




"Howard's writing seems so highly charged with energy it nearly gives off sparks" Stephen King

What makes him even more interesting for me is the historical background given by Howard about his master-crafted world. Every place in Hyperborea, Stygia and Khitai is based on real geographical facts...It's all actually a pre-ancient Eurasia with shit-tonnes of Lovecraftian-feeling lore!
Wrap it all up in action and suspense and the result is one of the most beloved, well-received and inspiring pieces of modern writing ever.

"Pure adventure yarns with a touch of weirdness" H.P Lovecraft

That's why I'm planning to write a series about some of the most representative Conan shorts, Including:
Rogues in The House, The Tower of The Elephant and Queen of The Black Coast.
As well as a small review of Age of Conan and the Conan movies.
Wish me luck :D

No comments:

Post a Comment